My blog has moved.

Without javascript, redirect goes to
main Acid Test page in 15 seconds.

Links to previous posts are
in the right sidebar.)

New site is http://www.molvray.com/acid-test/.
Please update your bookmarks.
I don't want to lose you!

"What is the difference between a realist and a dreamer? The realist thinks that someday a UFO will come down and hover over the UN building, and that the aliens will come out of the UFO and offer to share their technology and solve all our world's problems.

The dreamer thinks maybe we can get our act together and do it ourselves."

Russian joke [It's a joke?] cited in William K. Hartmann, A Traveler's Guide to Mars.

02 November 2005

Global Warming: the dog that doesn't bark

Please see my current blog (at molvray.com/acid-test) for this post. It's filed under the same name and date in the Archives.

The material here is being stolen by a cheesy marketer as filler for a linkfarm.

3 Comments:

Blogger urban gypsy said...

I came by as I was updating a weightloss blog of mine that I hadn't maintained as often as I should (but I was pleasantly surprised when I got back on the scales today) and you had been kind enough to leave a comment there.

Read this post with great interest as my son watched the movie The Day After Tomorrow only the other night. After Katrina and Rita, this film somehow didn't seem as farfetched as I think the movie world intended it to be. These things are happening more often and frighteningly quickly and we, as a family, fully agree that something needs to be reviewed or revised.

It's just what that something is, I don't know. We're hoping the polititians and environmentalists can work together in some way, shape or form because is we don't do something very soon, we feel that this planet will go tits up far quicker than anyone ever realised.

I shall be back for more later. My blog doesn't go deep; I already know my views and I prefer to hear what others, such as yourself, have to say. It was interesting.

11/03/2005 6:00 PM  
Blogger quixote said...

Hi urban gypsy! I remember your blog well, and thought it had one of the most interesting designs I've seen in a while. Great job. I hadn't realized my comment actually made it through. I was having some kind of javascript problems. (I run Firefox on a Linux system.)

The Day After Tomorrow raised awareness of the global warming issue, which is good, but it irritates me wildly anyway. I worry that by painting global warming as a spectacular thing that drowns the Statue of Liberty right up to its face, the movie actually lulls people into a false sense of security. I can just see them thinking, "What's an extra ten hurricanes? At least New York isn't under water."

New York wouldn't be completely under water even if the Antarctic melted all the way. It's just such hogwash. And the real problems, which people could have connected to their actual lives, and which are plenty bad enough even for Hollywood, would have made a much more effective story.

11/06/2005 3:35 PM  
Blogger urban gypsy said...

Ah, but then the film would have to be more 'art house' which would probably mean it would only be seen by people that are already interested and raising awareness.

I live in what New Zealand calls an eco city, to the west of Auckland on the north island. Very much into conservation and recyling, a very boho, artsy sort of place but I'm not quite sure why it deserves the title of eco city; we don't seem to do much here that we didn't in the UK.

Could it all be too little too late already I wonder?

11/09/2005 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home